Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Monday, June 20, 2011
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be." Anne Frank
Saturday, June 11, 2011
Thursday, April 28, 2011
STUDENTS IN TANZANIA AFRICA
22 April, was Earth Day.
School students played a huge part in Earth Day 2011, with over 60,000 schools receiving Earth Day materials in the Green Schools initiative.
Some of the activities included:
- tree plantings and trash clean-ups by 1,000 students in Tanzania, Africa
- sixth-grade Iraqi mine survivors planting trees
- Detroit school kids building a plastic bottle boat
- The Planet Earth in Our Hands global project promoted student voices in recognition of what we all can do to use the earth's resources responsibly.
- students at Patriarch Diodoros, “The 1st School” formed an ‘Earth Day Volunteers’ group and are ‘greening’ their school inside and out.
Visit the Earth Day Organisation
Get your Student Activist Toolkit for ideas to make Earth Day every day
Let us know what you or your school did this year for Earth Day.
Monday, March 7, 2011
Sunday is a day of strong currents and challenging conditions at Snapper Rocks at the southern end of the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
Surfing 16 year old, Matt Banting, from Port Macquarie NSW is the youngest surfer to ever receive a wildcard into the Quiksilver Pro. He is excited to compete against his idols - Kelly Slater, Parko (Joel Parkinson) and Jordy (Jordy Smith.
Banting won the under 16 World Junior Surfing Championship in New Zealand and the Quiksilver King of The Groms title in France in 2010. Good luck Matt.
Surfers at Mavericks photographed by Steve Jurvetson, USA
Saturday, March 5, 2011
•Name: Nyjah Houston
•Height: 5 feet 7 inches (1.70 m)
•Weight: 155 pounds (70 kg)
•Hometown: Davis, California
•Date of Birth: November 30, 1994
•Occupation: Pro Skateboarder, Student (home schooled)
•Started Skating: 1999
•Turned Pro: 2005
•Favored Discipline: grinding, often using stairs and rails
•Sponsors: I&I Skateboards - founded by Nyjah Huston in 1999,(previously element) 2011 back on Element–this time around with a pro board, Silver Trucks, FKD Bearings, Diamond Hardware, eS Footwear
His favorite skaters of all time are Karl Watson, Rodrigo Tx. and P-Rod.
Skateboarding Style and Strengths:
As the youngest pro skateboarder on the circuit, Nyjah has blown away the crowds with his coolness and seemingly effortless street style.
switch heelflip 13
switch heelflip the 16 on maloof
14 stairs nollie heelflip - when he was 13
double kickflip big gap
Kickflip Back Lip
Kickflip Back Tail To Fakie Switch
2005 Goofy vs Regular: 1st (street) 
Tampa Am: 1st (street) 
Vans Downtown Showdown: 2nd (big 6) 
2006 Dew Tour, Denver: 2nd (park) 
Dew Tour, Louisville: 2nd (park) 
Global Assault: 2nd (street) 
Vans Downtown Showdown: 2nd (best trick - stair) 
X-Games, California: 2nd (street)
Legend of the ledges: 2nd Open
Cheapskates Nationals: 8th Open and 1st Under 16s
2009 X-Games: 2nd place
2010 Tampa Pro: 2nd
Maloof Money Cup 2010 OC: 2nd (street)
Street League Skateboarding 1st Stop (Glendale, Arizona): 1st (street)
Street League Skateboarding 1st Series: 1st (street)
Summer X Games: 2nd (street)
Other claims to fame: youngest skateboarder ever to start up their own skateboard company.
Monday, February 21, 2011
Alastair, Freya and Imogen co-founded Planet Patrol which is written BY kids, about the environment, FOR kids.
They have started a Paper Pledge where companies and organisations can pledge to use Australian recycled paper which contains 50 to 100% of paper sourced from Australian landfill and wood pulp which is grown sustainably (unlike cheaper overseas imports).
- help save our trees
- reduce water pollution
- improve air quality
- reduce global warming
- save habitats and wildlife
- provide jobs for Australians
Monday, February 7, 2011
The inaugural Enviro Award goes to Weetangera School Canberra.
Clean Up Australia sent "A big thank you to students at Weetangera School, Canberra, ACT for their generous donation! The students raised the money by selling home made cup cakes at the school fete." 2010
- the sustainable schools program - being an “energy wise”school
- adopting “water wise” strategies
- participating in Clean Up Australia Day
- created ecological outside teaching area
- participating in “green” initiatives such as “Tree Day”, “Green voucher” for a water tank
- collecting food scraps for composting
- promoting a litter free environment
- student environmental schemes are recognised through certificates and Newsletter