The inaugural Enviro Award goes to Weetangera School Canberra.
Clean Up Australia sent "
This is not all that this school is doing to help our beautiful environment. The school is promoting environmental awareness and establishing green practices within the whole school.
Some of what they are doing includes:
- the sustainable schools program - being an “energy wise”school
- adopting “water wise” strategies
- participating in Clean Up Australia Day
- created ecological outside teaching area
- participating in “green” initiatives such as “Tree Day”, “Green voucher” for a water tank
- collecting food scraps for composting
- promoting a litter free environment
- student environmental schemes are recognised through certificates and Newsletter
Weetangera School currently has 413 students enrolled from preschool to Year 6. The fully integrated Autism specific Support Unit, is currently fully enrolled with 6 students.